Carey Chamber Member Honors Presents:
Dorcas Carey Library
236 E. Findlay St
Carey, Ohio 43316
Library’s Mission Statement
Dorcas Carey Public Library is committed to providing our patrons access to a variety of resources to meet their educational, informational, cultural and recreational needs in a welcoming atmosphere.
History of Carey Public Library
In 1904, Andrew Carnegie, a financier and philanthropist set aside $43,000,000.00 to establish libraries. His plan was that any community could have a sum of money to build a library if it would supply the land and agree to furnish one tenth of the amount of his donation for the upkeep of the building.
Mr. Greely Chambers, Mayor, began a correspondence with the Carnegie office in New York to obtain funds for the building of a public library. This proved to be successful and the Board of Trustees received $8,000.00 from the Carnegie fund.
To provide a site for the building, Mr. Edwin Brown donated $5,000.00 of which $2,000.00 was used to pay for the site and the remainder used toward furnishings and books. The village had agreed to pay $800.00 or 10% of the Carnegie gift for yearly maintenance of the building and the cost of a librarian and janitor service. The library was named Dorcas Carey Public Library after Mr. Brown’s wife’s mother, Dorcas, who was the wife of the honorable John Carey, founder of Carey.
The construction of the building was completed in 1906. The dedication ceremony was held at Snyder’s Opera House on October 19, 1906. Miss Mable Newhard was the first librarian.
The building remained the same until 1967 when extensive remodeling was done. The children’s books were then moved to the basement in what was formerly a meeting room.
In 1976, when Carey celebrated their Bientennial, that committee chose the library as their community project. As a result of this, the Board of Trustees was presented a check for $6,000.00. This was to be used toward building an addition to the present structure.
In 1977, the trustees had a levy passed to supplement the bicentennial committee’s gift. They proceeded on with building the addition and it was completed in October 1979. The adult section was moved to the new addition and the children’s section was moved upstairs.
In 1985, Mr. Arthur Stoll bequeathed $50,000.00 to the library for the purpose of building the second floor to the addition built in 1979. With this gift, along with money the library had accumulated in the building fund, the second floor was added in 1987. The adult’s books were again moved to the upper floor and the children’s books to the lower level.
Library Services and Resources
Adult Book Discussion Group
Adult Reading Program
Adult Craft Night
And Much More!